One of the benefits of being an entrepreneur is that you can work from your own home. You can create a space within your home environment that fosters your creativity and allows you to follow your passion. However, sometimes the day to day chores such as laundry and dishes serve as a constant distraction.
Here are some tips on how to maintain your focus and improve your productivity while working from home.
- Have a set start and end time of your day. You will be more productive is you create a proper work day in which to get your work done. This will eliminate the “I can do that later” mentality. This does not mean you lose flexibility. If you work best in the evening set that as your time in the office. Just make sure it is a set time so you know when you need to be productive and get down to business.
- Have a door to close. Make sure that once you leave the office you can truly say goodbye to work. Close the door, clean up the kitchen table or do whatever you need in order to turn off from work. Time away will only make you more focused when you are ready to work again.
- Take a proper lunch break out of the office. It’s important that you step away from your desk for a break. Don’t eat at your desk, it doesn’t offer a proper break and is not good for your production. Step away and focus on feeding your body so you can come back with a clear head. If you really need to be doing something else during this time consider using it for some personal or professional development. Read a book or listen to a podcast.
- Change your Clothes. I know we all love working in our pajamas but there is something about getting dressed for your current role. During your working hours dress for the role. Then when it is time to relax change into something more comfortable. This process is a great way to force you to switch gears.
- Organize your day. Spend time at the end of each day to plan for your day tomorrow or take time at the beginning of each day to do some goal setting. This way you already have an idea of what you need to tackle and what your day is going to look like. You can plan out the timeline so you can ensure you have time set aside for the most urgent items. You can also take this time for reflecting on your goals and measuring your accomplishments.
I hope this has been useful for you. Continue to receive our updates and materials through our Facebook Page and Twitter Feed.