Do you know the warning signs that indicate that electrical could be an issue?
- Dimming lights
- Tripping circuit breakers
- Reliance on extension cords
- Overloading outlets
- Loose plugs
- Hot receptacles
- Strange or distinctive odors in the vicinity of receptacles or switches
- Unusual static on radio or television
If any of these occur in your home, a qualified electrician should be contacted immediately to inspect.
Here are a few helpful tips to prevent electrical hazards!
- Extension cords if used, should only be temporary and not for lengths more than 6-10 feet. They should never be stapled to walls, floors, ceilings in place of permanent wiring. Keep away from heat and water, and never use in a high traffic area, place under heavy furniture, carpet or rugs.
- If you’re blowing fuses don’t just keep replacing them. Call an electrician to check for overloading of the circuits.
- Never use a higher-wattage bulb than the maximum indicated on the fixture.
- Plug appliances like your refrigerator, microwave or kettle into the wall, never an extension cord.
- When doing an electrical renovation, putting up major lighting systems or adding extra appliances to your circuits have your local power company come and inspect the work.
- Exposed or loose wiring should be replaced or properly secured by an electrician. Be aware of sparks when removing plugs.
- Unplug electrical devices such as curling irons, hair dryers, irons and the like prior to leaving home.
- Fuses and breakers should be replaced with the correct size and amperage, making sure electrical panel circuits are labeled properly.
- Electrical tools should be replaced if the cord is worn, frayed or cracked; provides small electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out or gives off smoke while in use.
- A qualified electrician should conduct electrical inspections if there are any suspected hazards, maintenance, renovations and to perform upgrades.
- Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI) devices can be professionally installed to prevent arcing in wiring or appliances – it shuts down the circuit before it over heats.
- Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) devices can be professionally installed in kitchens, baths and other wet areas to prevent electrical shocks